If you would like to reserve the meeting room, please complete the following steps:
- Read the policy below in its entirety.
- Call to inquire about the availability.
- Fill out the meeting room reservation form and submit it to the library.
- Wait for confirmation.
PLEASE NOTE, SUBMITTING THE RESERVATION FORM IS THE FIRST STEP TO RESERVING THE MEETING ROOM. PLEASE CONTACT US TO CONFIRM THE RESERVATION.
Meeting Room Use Policy
The Sargent Memorial Library Board of Trustees welcomes use of the Meeting Room for civic, cultural, educational and philanthropic purposes of a non-profit, non-commercial, public nature having a substantial connection to the Boxborough community. Such use shall not interfere with normal library activities, and those who use the meeting room are expected to behave in a manner that acknowledges the rights of others to a safe, peaceful and respectful environment in which to read and study. No use of the room will be allowed that is likely to disturb library patrons in their customary use of library facilities, impede staff in the performance of their duties, or endanger the building or collection.
In accordance with the American Library Association, approval of use shall be given “on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.” Acceptance of a group’s application to use the Library Meeting Room is not to be considered approval of its content by the Town of Boxborough, the Library Board of Trustees, or Library staff. Civic, political, or governmental groups seeking use of the Library Meeting Room must abide by all guidelines, and be respectful of all beliefs. Any group that is considered to violate these guidelines may be denied further access.
Use of the room for library purposes, library related organizations, and library sponsored programs and meetings of Town of Boxborough boards and committees shall take precedence over other uses. The library is not available for private functions such as birthday parties, family events or celebrations, etc. When not required for the use of the library or library- related organizations, it may be reserved for meetings of town boards, departments, commissions, and committees, as well as local non-profit groups and organizations, under the following regulations:
- Only residents of the Town of Boxborough and Acton/Boxborough groups are to use the Library Meeting Room. No private parties or groups may reserve any library facilities.
- The meeting room capacity is 100 people. The Meeting Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that no more than 100 people are at a meeting. The parking lot accommodates 54 autos with an additional 3 handicapped spaces; if the Meeting Coordinator anticipates more than 57 parked cars for the event, the Boxborough Police Department must be notified in advance to determine if a special police detail will be needed for traffic management. Any cost will be charged to the group sponsoring the meeting.
- An Application for Meeting Room Use must be completed at least 30 days in advance, and no more than three months prior to the event. We cannot accept bookings beyond the three-month period to allow flexibility in the arrangement of library programs. (The limit refers to all bookings, including both single and repeat bookings.) All applications must be approved by the Library Director prior to the date of use and are considered on a first come, first served basis. Any group or organization not affiliated with the town of Boxborough or not registered as an official non-profit must submit an additional written application stating its proposed usage. All applications are considered pending until the director notifies the applicant that the room is available and the reservation is complete.
- The Meeting Room may be used only on the date(s) and the time specified, and for the purposes named in the approved application. No other areas may be used or freely visited. The library is not available on days when the library is typically closed. Applicants must use their own equipment unless the user is given advance permission by the Library Director to use Library equipment and it is so stated on the application. Library audiovisual equipment must be operated by a qualified person.
- Nothing shall be sold, given away, or exhibited, on library property without prior permission of the Library Director. The meeting room can be scheduled for use by Boxborough and Acton-Boxborough civic and non-profit organizations. No general admission fees may be charged for attending a meeting. The meetings must be open to the public. These groups may, however, fundraise in various ways during the meeting as long as the means are optional and voluntary and not forced on all attendees.
- The set-up of tables and chairs in the meeting room must be returned to the original configuration at the end of each program. No decorations, scenery, or other materials shall be affixed to the building or grounds without the express permission of the Library Director. No artwork or decorations hanging on the meeting room walls may be removed or moved. It is expected that nothing shall be left from the activity which will interfere with the operation of the library the next day. All spaces must be returned to their original condition of cleanliness.
- Organizations unable to use the facility on the day or time requested on the application form must inform the Library Director no later than 24 hours before the scheduled date.
- It is understood that library and town functions will take precedence over community use of the library meeting room. Library personnel will notify the group affected.
- At no time will children be left unsupervised in the Sargent Memorial Library Meeting Room.
- Alcoholic beverages and smoking in the library building or on library premises are strictly prohibited. Cooking is not allowed in the meeting room. Prior approval is needed when food is to be served at meetings.
- Groups using the Library Meeting Room will be financially responsible for any damages to the library facilities incurred during the time that the group was using the facility. The responsible adult who has signed the application shall agree to honor any such damage assessment and agrees to payment in full whenever applicable. Any applicant, individual or organization may be required to present evidence that they carry insurance to include, in their enrollment or membership forms, signed statements holding the Town harmless with respect to any liability for injuries or other harm or damage arising out of the applicant’s supervision or conduct of programs and activities on library premises.
- The Board of Library Trustees reserves the right to reject any Application for Facility Use if it is felt that to do so would be in the best interests of the Town of Boxborough. The intent of the Library Meeting Room use policy is to support the Town of Boxborough’s educational, recreational, community, and/or governmental missions. Any applications that could be construed to be more for individual profit or benefit than community profit or benefit fall outside of this facility use policy and will be denied.
- Applications for Library Meeting Room Use must be submitted by an adult (at least 21 years of age), and the responsible adult must be present at all times.
- Groups using a master key to enter the building are not, under any circumstances, to distribute the key to another group without authorization from the Library Director. The key must be returned to the library by 10:00 a.m. the following day.
- If at any time the fire alarm goes off, or if for any reason the building is to be evacuated, participants using the facility are required to comply. The Meeting Coordinator is responsible for immediately evacuating the building in case of emergency.
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees: December 14, 2004
Revised December 6, 2005
Revised July 9, 2009
Last Revised August 5, 2019